Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Passenger

This morning as I fought traffic and snowy conditions to take my boys to their respective schools, I looked back at my youngest as we merged onto the overpass above the city's river.
He sat peacefully, gazing out his window, head cocked to one side and resting against the glass. The intensity of his focus on this route that we take almost every day of the week made me realize how time gets suspended in each, present moment for him. I also thought about how much of his life is spent as a passenger, being ferried from one place to the next.
Then Iggy Pop started singing in my head.
I'm not sure sometimes if he understands what all these routines and schedules are about. When I see how calmly he looks out the window I can't help but realize that when we are driving, these are some of the few moments in his day when he is truly content. It is a state of being that is timeless, when he is neither here nor there, nothing is expected of him and he can just be.
I often feel in those moments of quiet observation that I am in the presence of a small spiritual leader and I am entrusted with the honour of transporting him to his various engagements.
The people that he meets may not understand what he is trying to teach them, they may even be afraid of him sometimes. Quite often, he doesn't even speak the same language.
But he is a passenger just like the rest of us and for him, the destination is of little importance.

No comments:

Post a Comment